Climate Estimates and Plant-Climate Relationships
Custom Climate Data Requests
You can select specific data elements and get a zip file that contains the data you request. See Details on Spatial Extents, Temporal Information and Data Elements to gain an understanding what is available here. Note that the target user community for this web site is focused on analysts with computer experience and a general knowledge of climate data.
NOTE: Climate-FVS ready data should be requested on the Climate-FVS Ready Data page.
NOTE: For Spanish speakers: Para los que hablan español.
NOTE: Five new precipitation data elements added to the derived data!
NOTE: New experimental down scaled data are available for user testing. See details on how futures are computed.
How it works
- You prepare a file of locations for which climate predictions are produced. You can upload two types of data:
- Point data has four columns coded as space separated values (commas also work): PointID, Long, Lat (decimal degrees), Elevation (meters). Do not include a header record—the data must start in the first line. If a PointID includes blank(s), enclose it in quotation marks. File extension is normally .txt, however you may compress your file so that the extension is .zip (implies a zip file) or .gz (implies a gzip file). Example line: "Moscow ID" -117.0 46.73 787.3
- Asciigrid files must be of elevations in meters and the grid definition in decimal degrees (please limit your request to about 1 million grid cells). File extensions are normally .txt, but you can compress your file as described for point data.
- You specify an Email address we can use to contact you.
- You specify the data file to send our site.
- You specify which spatial extent(s) you want to use.
- Our server process the request and builds a zip file of the output data.
- Our server sends you an Email with links included that you can use to retrieve the data you requested. You are given 24 hours to recover your data from the time the Email message is sent. Short runs take 5 to 10 mins, long runs can take an hour or two.
NOTE: We do not attempt to secure your data. While we do not deliberately share it with others, we do not take steps to protect it and we may use it for debugging purposes.